Banking & finance
We have one of the largest teams of finance lawyers in the region giving us the scale, resource and expertise to advise on large transactions in short time frames.
Our team of finance lawyers is practical, proactive and knowledgeable and provides a specialist service for banks, lenders and businesses. We advise on a wide range of finance options, including debt financing, equity fundraising and crowdfunding.
We act for many different types of clients on transactions of all sizes, ranging from major property investors and developers on their real estate finance facilities and large corporates on their working capital and acquisition finance loans as well as on smaller value loans for SMEs.
We also work closely with and are on the panel for a number of banks and lenders and are members of the LMA, so we view and understand banking and finance from all perspectives. We understand the commercial practicalities of raising finance as well as the parameters within which lenders are willing to lend and investors are willing to invest and so can provide well-informed, practical advice.
Talk to us about
- Acquisition finance – we provide transaction support to lenders and to corporate businesses and management teams in relation to business acquisitions and management buy-outs and can call on a team of experts from across the firm to advise on employment, tax, IP and IT issues.
- Corporate banking – we advise borrowers looking to raise working capital or to refinance existing debt. We also advise lenders lending to such borrowers on structuring the deal and drafting and advising on the facility and security documentation and any inter-creditor arrangements.
- Asset finance – we advise lenders and corporate borrowers on factoring, invoice discounting, receivables finance and other asset based lending arrangements.
- Real estate finance – our team advises lenders and borrowers on all aspects of real estate finance, including property investment deals and development facilities and works closely with specialists across the firm on development, construction, planning and tax matters.
- Consumer credit – we help lenders navigate the complex regulatory issues which apply when providing finance to consumers and small business and to ensure they have the correct documentation and processes in place.
- Alternative finance – we advise borrowers in relation to alternative finance options and debt restructuring, including crowd-funding.
Noted for high-profile transactional capability.
“They are skilled at demystifying the advice so the client is not swamped with legalese.”
“They are willing to invest time up front in exploring the merits and potential pitfalls of a transaction before racking up significant fees.”
James Beatton heads the firm’s corporate team and is highly regarded for his broad banking law expertise.
Clients enjoy working with James Beatton. One said: “He adds real value to a transaction. He is able to summarise complex legal issues in a simple manner.”
A first-choice adviser for banks and financial institutions.
Sources remark that he “effectively deals with any issue” and is “the go-to man commercially.”
“They understand the banking and finance market and can make commercial solutions as well as legal ones.”
“They work to a very high standard and they come in on budget. This is very important, because we can trust in the original fee estimate.”
Highly respected representation of borrowers and lenders in a full range of financing transactions. Particular expertise in property finance and refinancing.
[the team is known for] high-quality representation of borrowers and lenders in a range of financing transactions. Particularly active in the realm of property finance.
Sources describe Philip Cunningham as “a very experienced guy who is aware of the real world.”
“Knowledgeable, experienced and practical” Philip Cunningham led the team in advising shareholders on the disposal of BACTEC International.
Sources agree that the “reliable” team at Cripps LLP provides a “London standard of advice at regional rates.”
Christopher Langridge is a “very pragmatic individual” with “proactive advisory skills” and “sound advice.”
Nigel Stanford is “great for good practical advice on all commercial issues.”
Christopher Langridge is a highly regarded M&A lawyer.
Sources emphasise that this team provides “pragmatic and efficient advice in a sensible time frame.” This team “is commercially aware, provides a quick response to queries and researches things thoroughly.”
“They are genuinely customer focused and their advice is invariably right on the button.”
James Beatton is “technically good and he knows his stuff.”
The ‘professional’ team at Cripps LLP is ‘skilled in all areas of commercial banking’
"The arrival of Victoria Symons has significantly strengthened the [Banking and Finance] practice at Cripps LLP; clients 'rate her and the team very highly'."
[Cripps' banking and finance practice] "is praised for its 'top levels of service' and for its 'engaging and proactive approach'."