Our experience working with charities & not-for-profit organisations
- Advising on charity deregistration of Sovereign Harbour Trust involving creation of a subsidiary Community Interest Company and successful negotiations with the Charity Commission and the CIC regulator.
- Advising Moravian Church Schools on the effect of the public benefit test on their charitable status and the changes needed to be implemented to comply with the new guidelines.
- Acting for Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust on a company reorganisation, involving two charities being wound up and the trading subsidiary of one being transferred to the main charity.
- Representing two charities which both faced Charity Commission investigations resulting from complaints from third parties.
- Acting for a university in a complex and time intensive £22 million PFI deal relating to the construction of over 500 flats for student accommodation on the university campus involving a wide range of issues including facilities management, construction, property and commercial.
- Establishing and registering a disaster relief charity within 4 days.
- Acting for a charity providing housing, support and care for the elderly on a circa £7,500,000 refinancing, secured by way of a legal charge, debenture and charge over deposit.
- Providing advice to the trustees of a registered charity, Larkfield Hall Limited (operating under the name Pepenbury) on its merger with Hill Park Autistic Trust (HPAT). The merger required specific charity law advice on the transfer of substantial legacies, together with property advice on the transfer of both freehold and leasehold properties used for the care and support activities of HPAT, together with post-completion advice regarding the winding up of HPAT and the change of name and objects of Pepenbury.
- Advising several private schools about how to deal with complex sickness and underperformance issues relating to teaching staff.