If you are interested in a career in law but years at university doesn’t appeal to you, our paralegal apprenticeship programme in Tunbridge Wells may be just what you are looking for.
Recruitment window now open
Our recruitment window opened on 1 November 2023 and closes at midnight on 29 February 2023.
We are now recruiting for paralegal apprentices to join us in September 2024. The assessment day for candidates shortlisted will take place on Thursday 3 April 2024.
Online insight session
Join us online on Zoom for our insight session on Tuesday 16 January from 6pm to 7pm to find out more about our paralegal apprenticeship scheme.
In this session, our paralegal apprentices will share their experience of working with our lawyers and learning with BPP University. They will also answer your questions on how they successfully secured a place on our paralegal apprenticeship scheme.
Fiona Chamberlain, emerging talent manager, will host the session and explain the application process alongside sharing all about life at Cripps.
Register for the session and you will receive an email with the joining instructions.
If you would like to submit a question in advance for the session, please contact Fiona Chamberlain at email@example.com.
What is a paralegal apprenticeship?
A paralegal apprenticeship is the first rung on the ladder in terms of legal qualifications. It offers ambitious young people an alternative route into the legal profession instead of attending full-time university. Over our two-year work-based paralegal apprenticeship programme, you will complete the BPP Paralegal Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship. This is a qualification designed to develop the appropriate skills and knowledge needed for a career in law.
The programme includes a mixture of on-the-job learning and training from BPP University Law School. Whilst completing the apprenticeship you will also complete a Level 4 Certificate of Higher Education (Law and Legal Practice) awarded by BPP University. On successful completion of the Paralegal Apprenticeship Programme there is the opportunity to progress to the four year Solicitor Apprenticeship (subject to performance) which will allow you to obtain a degree in law.
What is covered in the programme?
- You will receive a competitive salary and benefits package, with your study fees covered by the firm through the apprenticeship levy.
- You will be supported by our dedicated paralegal manager for the duration of your apprenticeship.
- You will be part of a tight-knit team, working with and learning from our high-performing paralegals based at our Tunbridge Wells office.
- You will experience a broad variety of legal work across our three core markets of real estate, corporates and private clients, helping you to explore your potential.
- Four days supervised learning on the job and 1 study day each week
You will be based at our offices in Tunbridge Wells. We do allow occasional home working but on the whole apprentices are required to work in the office as we know they learn so much by being physically present with their supervisor and team.
We are looking for people who are:
- well-rounded individuals with good personal and communication skills,
- participative team players, keen to develop and learn from colleagues,
- methodical, accurate, well organised and have the ability to work to deadlines.
As a business, we put people at the heart of everything we do – whether that be our clients, our colleagues or the people in our local communities. We pride ourselves on having a high-performance culture which is disciplined, ambitious and outcome focused. A place where our people can have enriched careers and fulfilling lives outside of work. Our work isn’t just a matter of what we get out of it, it’s what we put in that makes a difference. So, we focus on attracting and retaining the best talent, with a strong ethos to do the right thing and make a positive and lasting difference for our clients and communities.
To meet our academic criteria, you will need:
- Five 4-9 grades (A-C) at GCSE (or equivalent) which must include English and Mathematics.
- Three A Levels (or equivalent) predicted or actual 96 UCAS points.
To be considered for our paralegal apprenticeship scheme, please:
Please send your completed application form, and equal opportunities form to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is midnight on 29 February 2024. Applications after this time will not be considered.
Please let us know if you need us to make any special arrangements to enable you to participate in the recruitment process on account of a disability.
We can only accept applications from individuals who have already secured the necessary permissions to work in the UK.
About 15 applicants will be invited to attend our assessment day on 3 April 2024 at our Tunbridge Wells office which will involve:
- meeting our emerging talent manager, members of our people & talent development team and some of our current paralegal and solicitor apprentices
- competency-based interview
- BPP online assessment
- team challenges.
Following the assessment day, we will contact applicants with our decision within about a week.
Successful applicants will begin the on-boarding process with BPP ready for the apprenticeship to begin in September.
We also partner new apprentices with ‘buddies’ from our current cohorts of apprentices so they have somebody on hand to answer any questions before their first day.
The first week of the apprenticeship is induction week with sessions delivered by BPP and Cripps. After that, the new apprentice will join their first team and begin their apprenticeship journey.
On completion of the paralegal apprenticeship, where possible, we would seek to offer you a position as a paralegal at the firm. There may also be the opportunity to further your career through our solicitor apprenticeship scheme. The solicitor apprenticeship scheme allows an apprentice to qualify as a solicitor on completion of a six-year apprenticeship, including the two years served as a paralegal apprentice.
You will be given a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Your salary will increase as you become more experienced in accordance with the pay scale below and, if you are accepted onto our solicitor apprenticeship scheme, your salary in years 5 and 6 will be equal to our trainee solicitors.
Apprentice salaries are benchmarked regularly with the market and are reviewed in any event in May each year.
- Year 1 paralegal apprentice £20,000
- Year 2 paralegal apprentice £23,000
- Year 3 solicitor apprentice £26,000
- Year 4 solicitor apprentice £27,500
- Year 5 solicitor apprentice £ 30,000
- Year 6 solicitor apprentice £32,000
The cost of the BPP apprenticeship programme will be covered by the firm through the Apprenticeship Levy.