I am a legal director working in the non-contentious construction team. My job allows me to meet a lot of clever and interesting people, committed to achieving impressive projects. Being part of that process and adding value is what gives me a kick.
With over 20 years’ experience, my role includes involves drafting, negotiating and advising on the wide gambit of documents which have to be agreed to get a development project off the ground.
I have worked on some landmark building and infrastructure projects both as a solicitor in private practice and in-house for one of the UKs top ten main contractors. This experience has afforded me a great overview of the industry and a keen understanding of the needs of all key stakeholders involved in the delivery of successful construction project.
Areas of expertise:
- Construction procurement and operation
- Non-contentious construction documentation (framework agreements, JCT, NEC, FIDIC, ICE and bespoke contracts (both main and sub), JV Agreements, letters of intent, PCSAs, consultants appointments, warranties, bonds and reliance letters)
- Major protect tender documentation as well as subsequent operational issues
- Construction insurance; CAR, non-negligence cover, professional indemnity
- Construction payment provisions, recovery of entitlements (including Brexit/ Covid-19 entitlements), sub-contractor insolvency; protection of rights for off-site material
- Project security documentation such as bonds and guarantees
- Building Safety Act 2022
Qualifications and memberships
- Qualified in March 2001
- Master Degree in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution (King's College, London)
- The Society of Construction Law
Acting in-house for FTSE 250 main contractor on civil construction projects over various sectors including rail, road, energy and water as well as building projects for commercial developers.
Acting for the developer consortium on a high value construction project procured on JCT D&B, for a multi-storey central London residential development.
Acting for a major UK investment management company on the acquisition of a property in a prime central London location for conversion from office to residential use.
Acting for major high street banks as a panel approved monitoring solicitor. Reviewing reporting and advising on the adequacy and potential security risks associated with construction documentation negotiated by borrower’s solicitors.
Acting for major building contractor on the redraft of its standard form sub-contracts, POMM, purchase order and bespoke conditions to assist in streamlining its procurement process.